From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: encrypted email (gentoo-windows)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:50:57
1 On Sunday 27 March 2011 15:48:53 James wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > Google has many examples and step-by-step instructions for configuring
4 > > Outlook to use SSL Certs (S/MIME), usually by the purveyors of all these
5 > > expensive certificate services:
6 > >
7 > > http://www.globalsign.com/support/personal-certificate/per_outlook07.html
8 >
9 > Hello Mick,
10 >
11 > Exactly what I was looking for. Not just the part I included, but
12 > your entire answer. Gmane get'[s fussy about including too much
13 > previous text in responses. Sure, I've set up numerous email clients,
14 > like Thunderbird and such on doze systems before (encryption or not);
15 > that's a no-brainer. Outlook in a rigid corporate environment without the
16 > admin's help on that side..... interesting. If their spam filters
17 > are too aggressive, it will most likely quarantine the incoming encrypted
18 > files. A program of encryption, but makes files look like text to
19 > spam filters, would be keen, but most likely crackable, due to the
20 > limited char_set? Never tried this but hey, there is ALWAYS a way
21 > to "skin the cat".......
22 >
23 > But I have never tried to help an ordinary Outlook user get encryption
24 > working, so as to exchange encrypted email, with their linux bretheran
25 > without their Admin's involvement. Most admins at corps do not care, but
26 > they are understaffed and only support what they support. So you have
27 > articulated some options where I can help a generic corporate user setup
28 > and use encryption, without their admin's involvement, which I guess is
29 > what I did not clearly explain in previous posts, as the goal all along,
30 > using Outlook or other
31 > MS based applications.
32 >
33 > THANKS; for sharing your knowledge and view of the landscape.
34 > I've got it from here.
35
36 Glad I could help James. :-)
37
38 Before you start helping remotely MSWindows users I recommend you install
39 MSWindows in a virtual machine (e.g. virtualbox-bin will take only a few
40 minutes) and configure the OS and mail client to send and receive
41 signed/encrypted messages as preferred. Otherwise, you may quickly run
42 aground when the corporate users technical knowledge stops them configuring
43 their machines as necessary.
44
45 PS. Some corporate set ups will have the MS Windows SSL certificate store
46 settings access blocked for normal users. In that case only MSWindows
47 recognised S/MIME Root CAs will be usable without warnings. As far as I
48 recall Comodo is recognised.
49 --
50 Regards,
51 Mick