From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IMAP server recommendations.
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 13:46:18
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 17 May 2007 10:00:27 +0100 (BST)
4 "Joost Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 > > I was just looking for some opinions. I am replacing my current mail
7 > > server.
8 > > Right now I am using courier-imap and I am happy with it. The only thing
9 > > that concerns me is that I have heard grumblings that courier has some
10 > > security issues. I was just curious which IMAP server other people would
11 > > recommend or perhaps if I am best off just sticking with what I know. My
12 > > current setup is very simple. My only real requirements are SSL and
13 > > maildir
14 > > support. I connect using either Kmail or Thunderbird.
15 >
16 > I moved from Courier-imap to Cyrus following performance problems with
17 > larger folders and haven't regretted it since.
18
19 Hm, it's not exactly maildir, though. It's kind of a derivate... But I
20 agree: Cyrus is really capable. The newer versions of dovecot are
21 rock-solid, so if it already fits the needs, I would go with dovecot.
22 However, Cyrus has some really nice features, e.g. global folders,
23 fully implemented ACLs, Sieve mail filters, numerous authentication
24 methods... It really depends on what you're trying to offer. I was very
25 happy w/ Cyrus, running a mail server for a work group of ~40 people.
26 On another setup, running a mail server for a bunch of friends who
27 don't need much of such functionality, Dovecot serves just fine. It's
28 really much more lightweight.
29
30 -hwh
31 --