From: Matt Connell <matthewdconnell@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Question about gentoo-sources kernel release versions
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 04:14:46
1 I see posts on LWN (or other sources) for kernel minor version releases,
2 such as this one: https://lwn.net/Articles/811334/ The notes will
3 typically say that users should upgrade to that minor version due to bug
4 fixes or security patches.
5
6 I know that gentoo-sources tracks on the most current LTS kernel
7 release, currently 4.19.97. However, these versions seem to usually be
8 slightly behind the 'recommended' minor version number.
9
10 Why is this? Is it because the Gentoo patchset precludes the issues
11 that are being resolved by the LTS releases? Are the issues considered
12 significantly minor enough that they don't warrant a version bump for
13 gentoo-sources?
14
15 No complaint or dissatisfaction being expressed here, just curious why
16 this seems to be, and if I should consider accepting ~amd64 for a newer
17 version.