From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Settings for Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen video card
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 01:58:40
1 On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 02:16:34PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
2 > On 05/10/2013 02:04 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > >
4 > > What settings do I use for VIDEO_CARDS= in make.conf? Is "intel" good
5 > > enough?
6 >
7 > That's what I have.
8
9 I just remembered "an excellent adventure" I had several months ago
10 when setting up my HTPC (desktop Intel with onboard GPU). Do you get
11 any hits when you run...
12
13 grep 965 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
14
15 Let me know if you do, because it would affect what I need to do.
16 If you see complaints about not being able to find a driver, for a trial
17 run, which doesn't make any permanent changes, try (one long line)...
18
19 USE="-video_cards_i915 video_cards_i965 classic" emerge -pv --deep --changed-use @world
20
21 The permanent equivalant would be changing to...
22
23 VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965"
24
25 ...in your make.conf, adding the "classic" USE flag if you don't already
26 have it, and running...
27
28 emerge --deep --changed-use @world
29
30 As near as I can tell...
31 * the kernel uses an i915 driver
32 * userspace programs (e.g. mesa) default to a userspace i915 driver.
33 * but they can use the additional capacity of the newer Intel chips,
34 hence the i965 userspace driver
35 * result is faster acceleration
36
37 You may need both "classic" and "gallium" USE flags. If you do make
38 this change, can you do a video speedtest/benchmark before and after?
41 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
42 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications