From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC hangs/lacks ?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 14:11:45
1 On 05/06 02:47, Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 09:16:33AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > It looks like blender is a heavy-duty program that bogs down your
4 > > system. You could buy a new machine, or you could try the "nice"
5 > > command. The tradeoff is that your system becomes more responsive
6 > > because the program is launched with a lower priority. The usual
7 > > priority levels range from 20 (lowest priority for your program) to
8 > > -19 (highest priority for your program). Note that you have to use
9 > > root or sudo to use negative nice-level (higher priority).
10 >
11 > Considering the specifications of Meino machine, this is not expected behaviour
12 > from any application. I doubt it is possible for a standard consumer to buy a
13 > machine with much better hardware; this is certainly a more serious issue,
14 > whether it be faulty hardware or misbehaving software.
15 >
16 > What else is running at the time of Blender locking up ? Are you absolutely sure
17 > that it is Blender causing this issue ?
18 >
19 > --
20 >
21 > Ashley Dixon
22 > suugaku.co.uk
23 >
24 > 2A9A 4117
25 > DA96 D18A
26 > 8A7B B0D2
27 > A30E BF25
28 > F290 A8AA
31 Hi Ashley!
32
33 ;)
34
35 Short explanation: With blender you can do animation.
36 For animations you need to "explain to Blender" how
37 thing should move. This is done in the so called
38 "graph editor" which is - amthemtically spoken -
39 nothing more than a lot of X/Y graphs, where X
40 is identical to the current frame number - hence
41 the time axis - and Y is the amount of movement
42 in direction of one of the Ds in "3D".
43
44 Rendering is no problem (ok, the system "lacks"
45 a little, but that is expected since a lot of
46 calculation power is drawn).
47
48 But if I click into the graph editor to directly
49 jump to quite different frame than the previous
50 or next one, everything freezes.
51
52 Blender hast to end its calculations and THEN
53 everything goes back to normal.
54
55 In this time the CPU goes not in full load --
56 otherwise the fans would become very busy (as
57 they do when starting rendering).
58
59 The problem here is not, that a sudden load is put
60 onto the system - that is normal and intended - the
61 problem is, that everyting locks up.
62
63 As said, it /feels/ like a lock on a system bus
64 or whatelse, what will only be released, when
65 the calculation for the frame jump has been
66 ended.
67
68 Since Linux is a multitasking and multithreading
69 OS and the PC has six cores and 12 threads, there
70 should be at least one thread left to handle the
71 keyboard while calculating frames - IF the CPU
72 get the bus at all.
73
74 The example with the bus being locked is AN EXAMPLE
75 ONLY. I have no clue, whether something gets locked
76 at all and if so, what gets locked.
77
78 There is "nothing" else running except for the
79 usual daemons, the kernel, openbox, a shell, a terminal.
80 Or with other words: Nothing stressful.
81
82 And I /think/ (read: I don't know), I could have something
83 to do with the communication with the GPU...:
84 If I switch of the preview, there are no locks anymore.
85
86 And I think my PC is causing the problem (instead of blender)
87 since the problem arises with three different versions
88 of blender.
89 Blender is used quite often, my PC is a combination, which
90 is used quite often and I didn't find anything (including
91 the bugtracker of the Blender development), which could
92 point me to the root of that problem.
93
94 On the other hand: I included the gpu-related USE flags
95 into make.conf and recompiled all related software.
96 Chances are there, that I would have triggered the problem
97 with another application if this problem is caused by
98 a bogus hardware (includind me screwing up some awkward
99 BIOS setting).
100
101 I am NOT overclocking and I am using "stock settings" in the
102 BIOS (beside the XMP settings for the RAM - but those are
103 settings quaranteed to work by the vendor of the RAM).
104
105 If any reader of the "Book of possible bogus hardware" is
106 now that confused as I am - you are welcome ! :)
107
108 Cheers!
109 Meino