From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eth0 interface not found - udev
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 05:59:59
1 On 04/07/13 04:06, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 >On 6 April 2013, at 16:57, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >>> Please excuse me, I am running back and forth from the servers and
6 >>> typing the error message here. Did our configuration get switched to
7 >>> IP6? These are our DB servers and why me!!! Why ME!!!!!
8 >>
9 >> No, it's not just you, it's happened to pretty much everybody. udev-200
10 >> now renames eth0, eth1, .... to something else, dependent upon
11 >> complicated rules. In my case eth0 has become p6p1, though many people
12 >> seem to have got longer names.
13 >>
14 >> ...
15 >> Yes, it's a pain in the backside.
16 >
17 >The irony of it is that AIUI these changes were occasioned because the kernel devs refused to make changes which might renumber the network ports for a very small number of users (who were running, at the time, the very latest generation of Dell or HP servers, less than 6 months old).
18 >
19 >I believe Linus himself was involved and he said "no, no, no! we cannot make changes which will break things!"
20 >
21 >Stroller.
22
23 Are these new udev rules going across all Linux distros or this is something specific to Gentoo?
26 Joseph