From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] evince doesn't display check-mark symbol
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 01:06:10
1 On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 05:31:32PM -0600, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I have a pdf file that has a check-mark symbol in it. On one computer the
3 > evince is display the "check-mark". On my other computer the check mark is
4 > displayed as a "square box"
5 >
6 > Both computer run save ver. of evince.
7 >
8 > pdffonts Km_Ysa.pdf (shows same output on both computers):
9 >
10 > name type encoding emb sub uni object ID
11 > --------------------- -------- ------------ --- --- --- ---------
12 > ZOTMNE+Verdana,Bold TrueType WinAnsi yes yes no 23 0
13 > SEJYXC+Verdana TrueType WinAnsi yes yes no 24 0
14 > WUNKEP+Verdana,Italic TrueType WinAnsi yes yes no 25 0
15 > Verdana,Bold TrueType WinAnsi yes no no 2 0
16 > Verdana TrueType WinAnsi yes no no 4 0
17 > ZapfDingbats Type 1 ZapfDingbats no no no 60 0
18 >
19 > It would seems I'm missing "ZapfDingbats" but both computers show same result
20 > "pdffonts Km_Ysa.pdf" so why one display check-mark symbol correctly and the
21 > other one is missing the symbol, I only see a "square box"
22
23 The `emb` column just indicates whether the font is embedded in the file. If it
24 isn't, you should still be able to view it, provided you have the font installed
25 elsewhere; it's probably irrelevant in your case.
26
27 Anyway, do you know to which font the check-mark symbol belongs ? If you do, use
28 `fc-list` from FontConfig to check if you have the appropriate one installed. If
29 you don't, you will have to diff the `fc-list` with that of the working
30 machine and narrow down the list of plausible contenders.
31
32 There shouldn't be that many. I have all Chinese (Traditional) and Japanese
33 fonts installed and `fc-list : file | sed 's/: $//g'` only gives 83 lines.
37 Ashley Dixon
38 suugaku.co.uk
41 DA96 D18A
42 8A7B B0D2