From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Serial port console debugging [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:02:09
1 Got it working. Thanks in advance.
2
3 cheers,
4 Mark
5
6 On 10/13/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > Hi all,
8 > Is there a HOWTO on serial port console debugging for Gentoo?
9 >
10 > I'm seeing a crash on a new kernel at boot time and the kernel
11 > developers have asked me to set up a null modem environment, which
12 > I've done. I'm now trying to test it. However their very simple first
13 > test command:
14 >
15 > lightning ~ # echo x > /dev/ttyS0
16 > lightning ~ #
17 >
18 > does not appear to produce any text on the second machine.
19 >
20 > I know nothing about setting up serial ports under Linux and am
21 > looking for some instructions. Here's the environment:
22 >
23 > Machine 1 - lightning - 1 serial port - this is the machine that
24 > crashes at boot with a certain option
25 >
26 > Machine 2 - gigastudio - 2 serial ports - this machine is running minicom
27 >
28 > What's a really simple process for checking out whether this is set
29 > up correctly?
30 >
31 > 1) I don't know that the null modem cable is good. I just bought it.
32 >
33 > 2) I don't know how to see if the serial ports are receiving any valid
34 > data, status signals, or anything else to show they are working.
35 >
36 > 3) I don't know if minicom would display incoming characters by default.
37 >
38 > I do think that I have serial support built into both kernels, but
39 > I'm not sure where to look to see status of serial ports.
40 >
41 > Thanks in advance for your ideas.
42 >
43 > Cheers,