From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Touble with linux-headers
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:52:46
1 On Montag, 30. April 2007, Holla wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I would like to install my own version of the kernel (2.6.18.3)
5 > which i have compiled and installed. This is working fine.
6 >
7 > But when I try to do 'emerge system', portage is
8 > trying to emerge linux-headers also. How can I prevent
9 > it ?
10
11 why? Why do you want to prevent it?
12
13 You know, that the in-kernel headers should not be used?
16 > Also , when using a homebrew source, how do I install
17 > the linux-headers in /usr/include ? just copy the directory
18 > from the kerenl source, or symlink it ?
19
20 You don't. Really. The kernel headers which come with the source tarball are
21 not a good choice for userspace. Don't do it, you don't have a compelling
22 reason. And if you have a very good reason for the in-kernel headers (like
23 app X needs them), it is a bug.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list