From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: SOLVED: Recover from LVM errors? (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:33:28
1 Hi lug
2
3 >
4 > Here's hoping the problem is solved, thanks to all (especially Alex)
5 > for the help.
6 >
7 > Jeff.
8 >
9
10 I have successfully compiled a few things, so it looks like the
11 problem IS solved. Thanks again where due.
12
13 Ignore the following if you don't like minirants.
14
15 1. Frankly, I'm not impressed with Linux in this case*. /var is not a
16 "mission critical" filesystem in the sense that if it contains errors,
17 it can still be mounted and the errors don't necessarily mean the
18 system won't come up. How about some non-fatal error messages that
19 tell you you have errors on the disk and then go away - oh, and which
20 come up in X11? I have a feeling the reboots were caused by Linux
21 trying to cope with X11 being in control of the screen when the kernel
22 panicked, since twice when I had a VT displayed I got some error
23 messages. At worst what should happen in this sort of situation is
24 that you get brought down to single-user mode and get to repair the
25 error. As you know if you have read this thread before, the constant
26 reboots in response to this problem had me going down not only my own
27 garden path but several else's as too, metaphorically speaking.
28
29 *You read it here first (unless you read OSNews, anyway.)
30
31 2. In attempting to fix the problem, I installed Ubuntu to see whether
32 it's gcc would fail in the same manner as the gcc on Gentoo had done.
33 Much to my surprise, after successfully loading the distro onto my
34 second hard disk by not being too picky about options, and downloading
35 source of gcc and tar, I get the dread "gcc cannot create executables"
36 message when attempting to compile. (This had nothing to do with the
37 reboot problem I was having, since on Gentoo the compile would start,
38 get part way through, and the system would reboot. Also, I then loaded
39 up an old copy of Slackware on the same disk I had put Ubuntu, in the
40 same hardware configuration, and Slack's gcc worked.) This has not
41 improved my relationship with Ubuntu.
42
43 Jeff
44
45 --
46 Q: What will happen in the Aftermath?
47
48 A: Impossible to tell, since we're still in the Beforemath.
49
50 http://latedeveloper.org.uk
51
52
53 --
54 Q: What will happen in the Aftermath?
55
56 A: Impossible to tell, since we're still in the Beforemath.
57
58 http://latedeveloper.org.uk
59 --
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list