From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: I don't understand Perl. What do I do after an update?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:03:39
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 21 July 2010 20:33:42 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > > On 07/21/2010 08:34 PM, Willie Wong wrote:
5 > > > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:04:54PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 > > >> Portage recently updated Perl from 5.10.1 to 5.12.1 (and later -r1).
7 > > >> However, a crapload of files still remain in
8 > > >> /usr/lib/perl5/{site_perl,vendor_perl}/5.10.1. I found out the hard way
9 > > >> after trying to emerge openoffice (and everyone knows how painful that
10 > > >> one is):
11 > > >>
12 > > >> What is the user required to do after updating Perl? elogv doesn't tell
13 > > >> me anything about upgrading.
14 > > >
15 > > > There's this neat little script called perl-cleaner
16 > > >
17 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/perl/perl-cleaner.xml
18 > >
19 > > Thanks. How do I call the script? I don't have any idea what perl
20 > > modules or ph files are (or why I need them). What do I need to do?
21 >
22 > Short version:
23 > You run
24 >
25 > perl-cleaner --modules
26 >
27 > and it just does it.
28 >
29 > Long version:
30 > perl comes out the box as an interpreter and some base functionality. The
31 > community provides a brazillion useful modules for all sort of things. Like eg
32 > Date. Need to do some Date manipulation? No need to write the disgusting code
33 > yourself to work with Dates, someone else already did it. Just install a
34 > module.
35 >
36 > The trouble is that modules are often written in perl itself and closely tied
37 > to the version of perl used. If you upgrade perl, you must also rebuild all
38 > the modules tied to it, they don't just migrate.
39 >
40 > This is a painful process. It's enough to drive a sysadmin to drink or (god
41 > forbid), to Windows. Portage can't help as the ebuild doesn't know what you
42 > have installed. So you must run a script to go and dig out all this crap for
43 > you.
44 >
45 > All I can say is, every day I get down on my knees and offer thanks that perl
46 > is not slotted.
47 But portage should be sensible enough to either run this for you, or
48 stop emerging -- I had a lot of trouble during the last update where I
49 kept getting errors and I emerged a couple of them before I knew I had
50 to run perl-cleaner.
53 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
54 How do
55 you spend it?
56
57 John Covici