From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel doesn't use all of the available memory
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:08:03
1 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> [10-12-10 01:09]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I see a strange effect which puzzles me.
5 > I have two AMD64 (~amd64) Systems. Both have 8Gb memory installed
6 > as reported by their BIOS as well as by lshw.
7 > One is a somewhat older Opteron, the other one a recent Phenom II.
8 > But the output of 'free -m' differs significantly
9 >
10 > On the Phenom II there a total of 7738 Mb
11 > but on the old Opteron there a total of 6477 Mb only.
12 >
13 > The 2.6.36 kernel is configured nearly identical (just a different SATA
14 > driver).
15 >
16 > Has anybody an idea where this comes from?
17 >
18 > Many thanks for a hint,
19 > Helmut.
22 (I dont know the exact core count of both processors...)
23
24 But may be additional cores of the Phenom II (x6?) will result
25 in more mem preallocated by the BIOS (may be without reason).
26
27 On my system (8GB,Phenom II X6 1090T, ASUS Crosshair IV Formula)
28 there are 8184216 kB in total.
29
30 So even the 7738 Mb seems to be lesser than possible.
31
32 Only a shot into the dark...
33
34 mcc