From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : mouse trouble : solved by accident
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 02:08:17
1 120913 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Yes, the 3.4.9 .config has nearly all of those.
4 >> However, I'm not sure that your logic is the right way round (smile):
5 >> something is telling Kernel + Udev to recognise only a 3.0 mouse,
6 >> whereas Mageia/SR recognise a 2.0 mouse ; the mouse is 2012 ,
7 >> so perhaps it will function either way, depending on software.
8 >> Why would K+U not recognise a 2.0 mouse ?
9 > I would run lsusb in both scenarios.
10
11 I'll try to remember tomorrow, but I doubt it will say anything new.
12
13 > Check dmesg for usb-related things from bootup.
14
15 I did that & described the result in an earlier msg.
16
17 > Check that the ports are enabled in BIOS if it's a new motherboard.
18
19 Both ports must be enabled, as the other 2 distros find the mouse.
20
21 The effect is quite bizarre & it was the gods who saved me :
22 if I hadn't happened to plug the mouse into the neighbouring port,
23 I could have spent days struggling to find out what was wrong
24 & even taken the mobo back to the store as defective.
25
26 Both Mageia -- installed from USB stick in a partition on the HDD --
27 & System Rescue show /dev/input/mouse0 after booting ;
28 in the case of SR it does it before I enter the GUI via 'wizard'.
29 They have no problem with the 2.0/1.1 port,
30 but the Gentoo system as I've installed it don't show /dev/input/mouse0
31 from that port, but only if I plug the mouse into the 3.0/2.0 port.
32 Someone suggested it is caused by a Kernel .config setting,
33 which if enabled seems to force the system to look in the 3.0 port.
34 Why it should do that doesn't make much sense :
35 such upgrades are usually permissive, not restrictive.
36 BTW there's no difference between 3.4.9 & 3.5.3 .
37
38 >> That also suggests that if I plug a USB stick into those 2 back ports,
39 >> it will give faster transfer speed ; the front ports are 2.0/1.1 .
40 >> Is it safe to test that ? -- ie I don't want to ruin a stick.
41 > Unless it is an actual USB 3.0 stick -- blue plug --
42 > with fast enough flash memory inside,
43 > it won't make any difference as far as speed goes.
44 > The connectors are physically different, but backwards compatible.
45 > There is no danger in plugging in older USB devices into a USB 3.0 port.
46
47 None has a blue plug, so they all must be 2.0 .
51 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
52 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
53 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca