From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: I want to get excited, but I just *know* they're going to mess it up...
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:49:06
1 On Friday 29 January 2010 14:09:37 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 10:00 +0000, Stroller wrote:
3 > > On 29 Jan 2010, at 05:43, Iain Buchanan wrote:
4 > > > They got it right for being open to OSS, but they got it wrong with
5 > > > the
6 > > > word "cloud"...
7 > > >
8 > > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richar
9 > > >d.stallman
10 > >
11 > > Seems like Stallman's objections don't apply because the proposal is
12 > > that they own their own cloud.
13 >
14 > I don't think his objections are just related to public vs private. As
15 > Neil said, there's the security problem to begin with, where one large
16 > government data centre has more data to compromise that a small one...
17 >
18 > > I.E. the use of the word "cloud" is just buzzwordology to gain
19 > > approval & acceptance.
20 >
21 > ... Another problem is the use of the word "cloud" when already we don't
22 > know exactly what they mean by it (it sounds like a manager buzz word to
23 > me) so they're going to have trouble defining it to themselves, and
24 > other govt departments.
25 >
26 > But the principle still remains that they're handing over locally served
27 > (ie maybe a server, maybe a desktop) data to a central "cloud" that will
28 > put its own limits on security, size, etc. Not to mention the
29 > separation of distance. No matter how good your network link is, it's
30 > not as good as your SATA interface! And at the worst of times you may
31 > loose not only your data, but your ability to create new data!
32 >
33 > > One could weigh the pros & cons of using regional data centres for
34 > > this, versus a server room in the basement of the individual
35 > > government buildings in Swansea (DVLA), Bristol (TV licensing) &
36 > > wherever, but I just feel too pessimistic about this today to feel
37 > > it's worth it.
38 >
39 > I'm all for data centres, since they can put massive CPU and storage
40 > volumes at the other end of the network link for you to work with
41 > (backups, web servers, etc) but it becomes very problematic when you use
42 > a web browser to write an office document.
43
44 I think they are thinking along the lines of Citrix XenApps and thin client
45 (e.g. HP running Neoware-RHL) on the desktops. This is what is being tried
46 out currently in a number of offices/buildings.
47 --
48 Regards,
49 Mick