From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dodgy hardware?!?!
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:05:23
1 On Wednesday 31 January 2007 14:27, Dave Oxley wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have a MythTV frontend running Gentoo on an AMD 64bit with an
5 > Nvidia 6600 graphics card. I have had no end of problems with the
6 > graphics card (Xid errors). It crashes with a white line across the
7 > screen regularly when 3d goom is up when I'm playing music. I've so
8 > far been putting it down to the nvidia driver but I'm beginning to
9 > think I may have a dodgy stick of RAM or something as I also get
10 > Segmentation faults when doing emerge's on occasion. When this
11 > happens it says its an OS error and retrying the emerge normally
12 > fixes it. How can I find out what the problem is? Is there a way of
13 > testing the RAM? Is it possible that it is the nvidia drivers still
14 > (I am often playing music when I run an emerge)??
15
16 Faulty or dodgy RAM is indeed often the cause behind random segfaults.
17 The best test of all is gcc which is why you get the error more with
18 emerge than anything else. gcc just happens to stress the ram and disk
19 system in ways that few other peices of software do.
20
21 There is a product called memtest86 which tests ram, but you have to run
22 it for many many hours to be sure of ewhat it's saying. And, I have
23 read reports that what memtest86 does is predictable, whereas a big
24 emerge is much more random.
25
26 How to test: Well, you could come up with a $40k once-off rig to test
27 memory that costs a fdraction of that. The easy way is to just swap out
28 the memory and try again. Buy some, it's not that expensive and you
29 *will* use it somewhere soon anyway :-) Or borrow some DIMMS from a
30 friend for a day or three
31
32 alan
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list