From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Multi-user login manager
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 23:38:39
1 Is what you want "multi-seat" rather than "multi-user"?
2
3 e.g., http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html
4
5 Lots on google.
6
7 BillK
10 On 14/7/21 6:56 am, antlists wrote:
11 > On 13/07/2021 15:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
12 >> On 2021-07-12, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
13 >>> On 7/12/21 2:21 PM, antlists wrote:
14 >>>> Two problems - I would like to run without X, but it seems that the
15 >>>> greeters need X to run ...
16 >>
17 >> Yes, they do. Why do you need a "greeter"?
18 >
19 > Well, most modern linux systems boot to a gui login screen, which,
20 > aiui, is called a greeter ...
21 >>
22 >>> I'm not familiar with the term "greeter", but I assume that you're
23 >>> referring to the display manager that functions as the GUI login
24 >>> screen.
25 >>>
26 > Yup.
27 >>>
28 >>> Configuration may be ornery, but I would assume ~> expect that this is
29 >>> possible to do.  After all, you're really talking about having the
30 >>> system function as two independent X11 servers,
31 >>
32 >> The OP explicitly stated he wants to run without X. AFAICT he wants
33 >> two separte Linux consoles. I don't think that's possible.
34 >>
35 > Thing is, X is obsolete, so if I can have my system work without X
36 > installed, that would be nice. If I have to install it, tough that's
37 > the way it is. It just seems weird that you should still need X
38 > installed to login if you want your system to be pure Wayland.
39 >
40 > But to describe my desire as "having two X servers running" is good
41 > enough. I'd just rather it was two Wayland instances running.
42 >
43 > My previous setup was two PCs networked. But it took up too much
44 > space, and because so much data was shared between me and my wife the
45 > second PC effectively didn't use its hard disk for anything beyond the
46 > OS (plus it was an old chip, an old PC basically). Hence my desire for
47 > the curent setup to be a powerful, SINGLE PC, but from the user's POV
48 > it looks like there are two PCs.
49 >
50 > Cheers,
51 > Wol