From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ripper that generates song titles?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 04:15:08
1 On 26/08/2015 22:06, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I went to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) yesterday and
3 > indulged in a buying spree of 18 CD sets of my fave music (basically
4 > anything pop/rock/country pre-Beatles). I now have over 20 CDs that I
5 > want to rip to flac eventually. I dread the gruntwork in renaming
6 > tracks like track01.cdda.wav, etc. What Gentoo ebuilds are there for
7 > stuff that'll get ahold of track titles? Is it in the form of metadata
8 > on the CD?
12 media-sound/beets. Best music metadata manager out there, period. There
13 isn't any song metadata as such on a CD, so beets uses musicbrainz as a
14 data source. You sometimes have to get your hands dirty and manage it
15 properly, especially for more esoteric CDs like you just bought. Or
16 maybe you're lucky :-)
17
18 I find for popular CDs (like what my kids buy in music stores), that k3b
19 does a fine job of getting metadata when ripping - it looks the CD up on
20 CDDB.
21
22 To do the job properly, and fully manage all the metadata, nothing comes
23 close to beets. It's also a cli python app which will go down well
24 around here, none of that "point mith a mouse and click" nonsense :-)
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com