From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags: mmx sse sse2
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:31:26
1 On 1/12/06, John Myers <electronerd@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 12 January 2006 18:45, Tom Smith wrote:
3 > > Well, if they're /not/ mutually exclusive, another question that comes
4 > > up is...
5 > >
6 > > If a program is compiled with sse or sse2 support on a Pentium II, will
7 > > the program run slower than it otherwise would? (Some of the programs I
8 > > have are compiled and then distributed to servers with different
9 > > CPUs--P-IIs and P-IVs, mainly.)
12 > If a program uses an instruction that the processor doesn't support, the
13 > program will be sent SIGILL, the default action of which is to terminate
14 > immediately.
15
16 Are you absolutely positive of that? I *thought* (would have thought)
17 compilers these days would compile in conditional use of such
18 instructions? That way if large blocks could benefit from these new
19 instructions, they would use them, otherwise fall back to a common set
20 of instructions. Of course this wouldn't be very beneficial for small
21 sections of code. I've been wondering about this for quite some time
22 though, but never bothered to investigate.
23
24 > --
25 > #
26 > # electronerd, the electronerdian from electronerdia
27 > #
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list