From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting Started
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:16:23
1 Am Montag 14 Mai 2007 08:46 schrieb burlingk@×××××××××.mil:
2 > I am new to Gentoo, and working on getting things up and going. I am
3 > running an HP Pavilion with an Athlon 64 processor. I'll build a
4 > desktop eventually when I have the time, but for now this is it.
5 >
6 > I am attempting to install the x86 version of Gentoo from the i686
7 > stage3 tarball, and so far have had no luck getting the ATI video
8 > drivers to compile. (My reason for this is that I wish to be able to
9 > run the current version of blender, which seems to have issues under
10 > AMD64 at this time.) However, if I do a networkless install, it works
11 > fine, but there are strange issues with upgrading. Portage has no love
12 > for a synthesized system. :P
13 >
14 > Anyway, I will probably post actual error messages in the near future if
15 > I can't figure it out myself. In the mean time, I'm wondering how many
16 > people on the list are military or retired military living in the
17 > pacific AOR (especially Kanto). If you want you can respond directly on
18 > this one. ^_^ I'm not asking to fill the list with the info! Hehe.
19 >
20 > Also, what is the difference between the Gentoo LiveCD and the LiveDVD?
21 > What are the advantages of the DVD? I am considering downloading it if
22 > there is adequate benefit.
23 >
24 > ---
25 > Ken.
26
27 Hi Ken!
28
29 As long as you've got a decent Internet connection there is no real reason for
30 using the LiveDVD. I don't know how good the new 2007.0 is. 2006.1 was a real
31 pain.
32 However, if you want the system up and going really quick, it might be worth a
33 try since you can use more precompiled packages from the DVD.
34
35 Back to your ATI issue:
36
37 At first, I'd like to make sure you've followed some good howtos. Just take a
38 look to this site if there is a guide to your laptop [1].
39 If not, you can follow this one [2].
40
41 [1] http://tuxmobil.org/hp.html
42 [2] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers