From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:44:55
1 On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 10:18 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > If I understand this correctly, they are stating bits but most data
5 speeds are commonly in bytes. I read once where one should divide by 8 or
6 9 to get the true speed in common use. Internet folks use the larger
7 number because it makes it look bigger. If I'm correct, and allowing a
8 little for overhead, I'll see about 50MBs/sec in common use terms. In
9 other words, using none salesman terms.
10 >
11 > From what they state, there is no limits. I may be a bit of a heavy user
12 at first but at some point, hard drive space will slow me down. I'm a
13 collector of videos and other documents. If I download it, I tend to keep
14 it unless it is really of no use. I've got videos on appliance repairs,
15 tractor, tree management and just interesting stuff that I refer back to.
16 It's a lot. Organizing it is also fun.
17 >
18 > I'm hoping to get it pretty soon. It's getting really close to me.
19 >
20 > Dale
21
22 Comcast currently gives me 1.3T bytes/month download. I don't think they
23 limit my upload because with the low speed or upload no one will ever use
24 that much.
25
26 bits to bytes is *8. I typically use about 200G bytes/month so I'm a long
27 way from hitting the 1.3T Byte limit. I don't use much 4K video though.