From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:56:07
1 On 16.02.2014 23:26, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 Feb 2014 19:00:43 Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
3 >> [ ... ]
4 >> But why then is Linux drifting to systemd? The answer is simple: money.
5 >> Time is money. You have to support two init systems -> twice the time,
6 >> twice the money. Sooner or later, a sum of money will outweigh the
7 >> users' opinion. To be a realist, one has to admit that in near future
8 >> 90% of new distro versions will be systemd-based. Unless some green soxx
9 >> emerge and take over Red Hat...
12 > You may have lost it in the link that Volker posted (thanks Volker), but this
13 > comment from HaakonKL probably sums it up:
14
15 Sorry, by the time Volker posted his message, I was already writing mine.
16
17 > "... I will give Upstart this though: Should something better come along, you
18 > could replace upstart. I guess this holds true for OpenRC as well.
19 >
20 > You can't say that about systemd."
21 >
22 > Can you surgically remove systemd in the future without reverse engineering
23 > half of what the LSB would look at the time, or will its developers ensure
24 > that this is a one time choice only?
25
26 Do you disagree with my statement that "in near future 90% of new distro
27 versions will be systemd-based"? Or with some other statement of mine?
28 If the former, then I intentionally put it down to money with no regard
29 to technical performance because money is usually what ultimately
30 matters for maintainers.
31
32 From a Software User's POV, as I said, I agree that systemd is a load
33 of bul^W things whose significance is at the least overrated. From a
34 technical POV, I bet, most systemd's cookies could be implemented within
35 any other init system as well, if required.
36
37 But in the Real World, software users either develop theirs own if they
38 have the resources, or get what they are given by those who have. So my
39 whole message was about -- whether OpenRC/upstart/anything guys have
40 resources to "show'em" or eventually fall to systemd.
43 Best wishes,
44 Yuri K. Shatroff