From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 20:49:43
1 Hello, Karl.
2
3 Thanks for the reply.
4
5 On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 21:32:04 +0200, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
6 > Alan Mackenzie:
7 > ...
8 > > I've now cobbled together a working console scroll on Linux
9 > > 5.4.80-gentoo-r1. In the end, I reused much of the old machinery which
10 > > was still present in 4.19.97. Once I've tidied it up, I hope that the
11 > > resulting patch file will apply cleanly also to later versions than
12 > > 5.4.80-r1.
13 > ...
14
15 > Nice, where is the patch so I can try ?
16
17 I've attached a patch to this post. To apply it, the following seems to
18 work from the top directory of a kernel source tree, e.g. 5.4.80-r1:
19
20 $ patch -p0 < diff.20210402.diff
21
22 .. Then you'll need to run make menuconfig (or whatever), going down to
23 Device Drivers/Graphic support/Console display driver support and there
24 accepting the defaults for the new config variables. (This is assuming
25 you've got FRAMEBUFFER support enabled in a neighbouring page.)
26
27 Then build the kernel as normal, and put the new version into whatever
28 boot loader you use. It should (??) run, with a scrollback buffer on
29 each virtual terminal.
30
31 Just a word about the current state of the source - it is rough, with
32 things unfinished. The "word" STOUGH (pronounced "stuff") is just a
33 word I use which appears nowhere else and enables me to find changes
34 quickly and unambiguously.
35
36 As I said, I'm not finished with the changes, and swapping from and back
37 to a scrolled tty isn't completely satisfactory. Nevertheless, I hope
38 it works for you and you have fun with it.
39
40 > > (i) The scrolling doesn't work on /dev/tty1 aka the console.
41 > > (ii) When, e.g., /dev/tty6 has been scrolled upwards a bit, and then
42 > > <Alt><F2> pressed to go to /dev/tty2, on returning to /dev/tty6, the
43 > > scrolling has been cancelled and the cursor is no longer visible.
44 > > However, the scrollback buffer is still present.
45 > >
46 > > I think I'm fairly likely to be able to solve (ii). However, (i), the
47 > > problem with /dev/tty1, has me baffled. I don't know where to start
48 > > looking for the problem. If anybody with some kernel knowledge could
49 > > make any suggestions, I'd be very grateful.
50
51 > What happens if you set /dev/console to be /dev/ttyS0, i.e. make sure
52 > that tty1 is the only one using the first virtual console.
53
54 I will try than. Thanks!
55
56 > Regards,