From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Corrupt USB pen drive
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 16:36:00
1 On Thu, 17 May 2007 17:04:21 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >>Thanks Dan, as I said above I tried to extract the MBR out of it by
5 >>running:
6 >>
7 >>dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/r1 bs=512
8 >>
9 >>But couldn't access it whatsoever.
10
11 > Oops! I could access it, but of course I had to try it as root!
12 > Right, I've got it on my hard drive now, but still cannot mount it:
13 > ==================================
14 > # mount -t vfat /dev/loop2 /tmp/r1
15 > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop2,
16 > missing codepage or other error
17 > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
18 > dmesg | tail or so
20
21 because the _disk_ sda doesn't house a filesystem, the _partiton_
22 sda1 does. You need to find out where that partition started and ended
23 on the disk sda. My thought was maybe windows would format it the same
24 way twice, in which case you can format and then get the partitioning
25 information out of the device, reformat, write the part of /tmp/r1 that
26 coincides with the partition, cross fingers, and try mounting.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list