From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 22:56:25
1 On 05/06/14 18:18, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I've become increasingly motivated to convert to btrfs. From what I've seen,
5 > it has become increasingly stable; enough so that it is apparently supposed to
6 > become the default FS on OpenSuse in 13.2.
7 >
8 > I am motivated by various reasons:
9 ....
10
11 My btrfs experience:
12
13 I have been using btrfs seriously (vs testing) for a while now with
14 mixed results but the latest kernel/tools seem to be holding up quite well.
15
16 ~ 2yrs on a Apple/gentoo laptop (I handed it back to work a few months
17 back) - never a problem! (mounted with discard/trim)
18
19 btrfs on a 128MB intel ssd (linux root drive) had to secure reset a few
20 times as btrfs said the filesystem was full, but there was 60G+ free -
21 happens after multiple crashes and it seemed the btrfs metadata and the
22 ssd disagreed on what was actually in use - reset drive and restore from
23 backups :( Now running ext4 on that drive with no problems - will move
24 back to btrfs at some point.
25
26 cephfs - rolling disaster but its more to do with not giving the system
27 adequate resources and using what from ceph's point of view are bad
28 practises (running ceph on the same machine used for VM's and mounts) -
29 mostly resulted in gradually corrupted and unrecoverable btrfs
30 partitions over time.
31
32 3 x raid 0+1 (btrfs raid 1 with 3 drives) - working well for about a month
33
34 ~10+ gentoo VM's, one ubuntu and 3 x Win VM's with kvm/qemu storage on
35 btrfs - regular scrubs show an occasional VM problem after system crash
36 (VM server), otherwise problem free since moving to pure btrfs from
37 ceph. Gentoo VM's were btrfs in raw qemu containers and are now
38 converted to qcow2 - no problems since moving from ceph. Fragmentation
39 on VM's is a problem but "cp --reflink vm1 vm2" for vm's is really
40 really cool!
41
42 I have a clear impression that btrfs has been incrementally improving
43 and the current kernel and recovery tools are quite good but its still
44 possible to end up with an unrecoverable partition (in the sense that
45 you might be able to get to some of the the data using recovery tools,
46 but the btrfs mount itself is toast)
47
48 Backups using dirvish - was getting an occasional corruption (mainly
49 checksum) that seemed to coincide with network problems during a backup
50 sequence - have not seen it for a couple of months now. Only lost whole
51 partition once :( Dirvish really hammers a file system and ext4 usually
52 dies very quickly so even now btrfs is far better here.
53
54 The comments on ceph only hold in my use case i.e., dont do it this way!
55 After the experience and problems, I would still choose ceph for its
56 proper use case (its actually way cool!) - the ceph people do not
57 recommend btrfs for production use.
58
59 I am slowly moving my systems from reiserfs to btrfs as my confidence in
60 it and its tools builds. I really dislike ext4 and its ability to lose
61 valuable data (though that has improved dramaticaly) but it still seems
62 better than btrfs on solid state and hard use - but after getting burnt
63 I am avoiding that scenario so need to retest.
64
65 BillK