From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM2 Problems
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 04:51:05
1 On Tuesday 09 May 2006 10:40, bm2600@×××××.com wrote about '[gentoo-user]
2 LVM2 Problems':
3 > I recently synced my Gentoo (2.6.7-gentoo-r13) and after emerging
4 > updated ebuilds, sure lvm2 was one of them and a reboot I lost my
5 > mounted fs.
6
7 > /dev/cont/swap none swap sw
8 ^^^^
9 > PV /dev/hda3 VG cont lvm2 [111.23 GB / 6.74 GB free]
10 ^^^^
11 > Found volume group "cont" using metadata type lvm2
12 ^^^^
13
14 So, it would seem that your volume group is named "cont", yes?
15
16 > 8 logical volume(s) in volume group "zoom" now active
17 ^^^^
18
19 Then why do we see "zoom" here?
20
21 Clearly, there is some metadata that doesn't agree. Try a vgcfgbackup and
22 vgcfgrestore to get your metadata in sync. If that doesn't fix things
23 try:
24 vgchange -an cont zoom
25 vgrename cont zoom
26 vgrename zoom cont
27
28 Also, be /very/ careful with upgrading LVM / device-mapper. I've certainly
29 had issues where old LVM wouldn't work with new dm or new LVM wouldn't
30 work with old dm. (But, I have LVM dynamically linked instead of the
31 Gentoo default of statically.)
32
33 Oh, BTW, if it /is/ a dm/kernel conflict, and you have LVM statically
34 linked, you'll have to recompile it *after* you've changed to a dm
35 supported by your kernel (if you change you kernel, but not your dm, this
36 won't apply). Otherwise, it won't use your new dm version. Such is the
37 benefit and detriment of static linking.
40 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
41 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
42 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
43 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh