From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about the 2007.1
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:34:47
1 On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 00:10 +0200, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:46:30 -0300
3 > "Danilo Marcelo" <danilo.marcelo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I´m waiting for too.
8 > Why?
9 >
10 > From my POV the only valid reason for someone to want a new Gentoo
11 > release is if (s)he wants to install it on a new hardware, which is not
12 > supported by the latest release.
13 >
14 > On the other hand I've installed Gentoo from its own CD only once. In
15 > all other cases (including my first install) I've done the installation
16 > in chroot from another, already installed, GNU/Linux distro [1] or from
17 > any bootable GNU/Linux CD [1] which supports the hard disk controllers,
18 > console and the network device. Yet another reason to love Gentoo! ;-)
19 >
20 > In other words I don't need too many releases, but prefer the devs
21 > spend their time for Gentoo on killing :) bugs and filling portage with
22 > new software instead of taking snapshots and building CD/DVD images.
23
24 Yeah, there's like a billion other boot media that can install Gentoo. I
25 prefer RIPLinux myself for hardware installs. For VMs I have a base
26 image that I copy to a new one, boot into it and then just do an 'emerge
27 --update...'
30 -a
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list