From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't mount ext4 fs as est3 or ext3
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:09:18
1 Hi,
2
3 > EXT3-fs (sda5): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
4 features (240)
5
6 > /dev/sda5 / ext4 noatime,discard 0 1
7
8 When first mounting the root filesystem the kernel has no access to
9 /etc/fstab and therefore by default tries mounting it with all available
10 FS drivers until one succeeds. ext3 (or ext4 in ext3 mode) is tried
11 before ext4 and you get that error when it fails because the filesystem
12 is using ext4-only features such as extents.
13
14 You can avoid that by adding "rootfstype=ext4" to the kernel command line.
15
16 > Since all my fs are ext4 I could remove ext3 support from the kernel
17 > (3.5.4). Is that the recommended procedure?
18
19 You can remove ext2/ext3 support even if you still have ext2/ext3
20 filesystems around; the ext4 driver is backwards compatible and can
21 handle those with no problems. You just have to make sure that
22 CONFIG_EXT4_USE_FOR_EXT23 is set in your kernel configuration.
23
24 HTH
25 andrea