From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Does root=PARTUUID=<> work with DOS partition table?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:16:01
1 On 2019-07-25, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2
3 >> I've also tried just passing root=/dev/sdb1 (which in the current
4 >> setup is consistently the device the root partition shows up on).
5 >> That doesn't work either and I'm begining to suspect that the kernel
6 >> simply isn't recognizing the USB storage device at all.
7 [...]
8 > Do you have all the necessary USB drivers compiled into the kernel?
9 > Check to make sure the following options are "y".
10
11 Doh! I didn't have CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD enabled.
12
13 The kernel is now finding the root partition based on the DOS
14 paritition table verison of the PARTUUID. Yay!
15
16 I'm a bit surprised that xhci support isn't enable by default these
17 days. It's been yonks since you could buy a new machine that didn't
18 have an xhci controller, and presumably having support enabled on an
19 old machine doesn't cause problems.
20
21 The Intel wireless interface isn't showing up yet, because the
22 firmware loading is failing. It worked when booting from the minimal
23 install image, so I've still got some kernel configuration tweaking to
24 do. I have vague memories of the iwlwifi driver not working well when
25 compiled as part of the kernel but working better as a module...
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! TAILFINS!! ... click
29 at ...
30 gmail.com