From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Glibc, userlocales, and ENV Variables
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:14:26
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've either made a mistake, or I have a question, or both (or maybe two
4 questions, in that case).
5
6 I got an update to glibc the other day, and took the opportunity to
7 check my userlocales because they are not always working as I want
8 (basically ISO-8859-15 characters do not always appear under all
9 circumstances).
10
11 Originally, I had my locales set up as per the documentation at
12
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
14
15 in the format
16
17 en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8
18
19 and
20
21 de_DE@euro/ISO-8859-15
22
23 and the like (replacing de_DE with nl_NL, of course), but when I got the
24 glibc upgrade I didn't look at that again, but instead at
25
26 /etc/locales.build
27
28 which says
31 # This file names the list of locales to be built when glibc is installed.
33 # /usr/share/i18n/locales directory, and <charmap> is name of one of the
34 files
35 # in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/. All blank lines and lines starting with
36 # are
37 # ignored. Here is an example:
38 # en_US/ISO-8859-1
41 So I looked in the referenced directories and here's what I came up with:
42
43 en_US/ISO-8859-1
44 en_US/ISO-8859-15
45 en_US/UTF-8
46 nl_NL/ISO-8859-1
47 nl_NL@euro/ISO-8859-1
48 nl_NL/ISO-8859-15
49 nl_NL@euro/ISO-8859-15
50 nl_NL/UTF-8
51 nl_NL@euro/UTF-8
52
53 Glibc built fine (afaict), but my problem is that I now don't know what
54 to export with a LANG variable.
55
56 For example, if I want nl_NL@euro/UTF-8, how do I export that as opposed
57 to nl_NL@euro/ISO-8859-15 (or worse, ISO-8859-1)?
58
59 Was I supposed to give the locales individual names as the Localization
60 Guide implies? locales.build doesn't indicate that you can do that (and
61 in fact, I thought perhaps the reason why language exports were mildly
62 borked might be because I had done so).
63
64 Should I just get rid of the 'extra' locales (ISO-8859-15 and
65 ISO-8859-1)? Since I guess I'm going to try to stick to UTF-8, maybe I
66 don't really need them (I was mostly covering my butt, concerned that my
67 current and future network connections might not support UTF-8, since
68 they're mostly to Windows machines).
69
70 I guess I've made a mistake, but I'm not quite sure what to do about it.
71 Since fixing it will most almost certainly require a recompile of glibc,
72 and since compiling glibc takes nine-tenths of forever, I'd like to get
73 it on with it as soon as possible (sigh). So any hints would be appreciated.
74
75 Thanks,
76 Holly
77 --