From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl has been very slow
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:15:50
1 On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 08:33:04AM -0700, Skippy wrote:
2 > I didn't know abouot yt-dlp either. Thanks for the info. I installed it
3 > but it will not work with gPodder.
4 >
5 > When in gPodder i enable use of Youtube-dl I get the message
6 >
7 > Extension cannot be activated.
8 > Python module not found: youtube_dl
9 >
10 > Anyone know how to make gPodder use yt-dlp?
11 >
12 > Do I simply need a link that sends youtube_dl to yt-dlp?
13 >
14 > Thank you.
15
16 Haven't tried but see upstream issue, there's a WIP PR too
17 https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder/issues/1176
18 https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder/pull/1182
19
20 While the "youtube-dl" command from the yt-dlp ebuild is mostly
21 compatible, the python module can need small workarounds so opted
22 not to symlink the module in the ebuild.
23
24 That aside, been debating whether I should allow youtube-dl and yt-dlp
25 to be installed concurrently meanwhile (IUSE=youtube-dl on yt-dlp),
26 although at this point youtube-dl feels nearly unusable to me so
27 not sure if it's worth it :?
28 --
29 ionen