From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox.bin vs firefox
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:00:38
1 On 18/12/2014 04:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Is there any advantage one way or the other emerging firefox.bin vs firefox?
3
4 Depends on your needs:
5
6 firefox:
7 - pro: you get all the USE flags
8 - pro: you don't get bundled libs from Mozilla, the ebuild can use
9 system libs
10 - pro: the compiled binaries are integrated into gentoo like other ebuilds
11 - con: slow compiles. I have 8 i7 cores and 16G. the merge takes 20-35
12 minutes...
16 firefox-bin:
17 - pro: fast install. It's a binary package
18 - con: you get all of Mozilla's bundled libs
19 - con: No USE, no choices. If Mozilla eg decides to ship with
20 pulseaudio, then that is what you must have on your end
21 - con: poor integration with the rest of your system. Files go where
22 Mozilla says they go, the devs can only do so much to make stuff standard.
25 As I see it, go with firefox unless you can't spend the cpu cycles to
26 build it locally. That's true of almost all -bin packages
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com