From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Headless question": Harvesting the results...software needed.
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 07:25:35
1 On Sat, 11 October 2014, at 3:10 pm, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Two things need still to be investigated: How can I store GPSdata onto the
4 > flash in a way, that no additional data is stored if no movement is
5 > there.
6
7 This should be pretty easy, but if you want help with it, you're going to need to give us some insight into how you're storing or accessing the GPS data at present.
8
9 Having said that, I'm not convinced that this is necessary. I have a logfile here with 91,000 lines of text in it, and it's 9.9mb and bzips down to 369kb. 91,000 is close to 10 entries every minute for a week, and I'd guess that you'd find CSV formatted GPS data written as text to have about the same length and compressibility as a typical /var/log/messages entry.
10
11 > And I have to prevent, that a sector/block/organisation unit
12 > of the flash is written more than once to prevent ware out of the
13 > flash.
14
15 Wear-levelling should be handled by the flash memory controller, and you shouldn't need to worry about it.
16
17 Stroller.