From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dvdrip help
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 23:01:43
1 On Wednesday 08 March 2006 22.32, Mike Myers wrote:
2 > Hey everybody!
3 >
4 > I'm trying to find something that I can use to rip and then remake
5 > DVDs. I have some japanese dvds that won't play on almost any regular
6 > dvd players because of the stupid region thing. K3b didn't seem to have
7 > anything for doing that, so I tried dvdrip/dvd::rip. Whenever I run
8 > dvdrip, it just goes to the next line and says "[filterlist]
9 > (re)scanning transcode's module path /usr/lib/transcode..." and sits
10 > there for as long as I let it without actually doing anything. I can't
11 > seem to find anything to skip that process or anything.
12 >
13 > Can somebody please recommend another tool or show me how to fix
14 > dvdrip? I'd really like to watch these dvds from something other than
15 > my laptop.
16 >
17 > Thanks a lot in advance,
18 > Mikey
19
20 Are you running an amd64 Gentoo? I have the same DVDrip problem here. My
21 solution has been to emerge Acidrip and Mplayer - it is masked, but I have
22 run into no problem so far, the results are as good as those I had with
23 DVDrip/transcode and much faster.
24 I have discovered it uses a newer codec however (FMP4) that prevents viewing
25 the videos on older Xine install, but installing mplayer and/or vlc on those
26 machines is a workaround. I guess it's a problem of building XIne with the
27 right libraries but not every distribution makes it as easy as re-emerging in
28 Gentoo. Xine on Gentoo amd64 works however.
29
30 Now putting the video back on a DVD is another problem. I've been playing with
31 DVDauthor so far but my standalone players won't play the DVDs (that do play
32 on computers however...)
33
34 Thierry
37 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
38 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
39 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
40 Frank Zappa
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list