From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 4gb mpeg to 100mb xvid?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:42:36
1 Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman schreef:
2 > Hi people,
3 >
4 > I was wondering, do you have any pointers to transcode an mpeg file
5 > to an xvid? The original is a +4gb file, and I need to create a good
6 > quality of aprox. 100mb xvid file.
7
8 I don't think this is realistic... you are trying to reduce the file
9 size by over 98% and want 'good quality' as well?
10
11 I don't see quite how that is going to happen, A standard DVD can be
12 reduced to the size of 1 CD (700 MB) or half that (350-400 MB) using
13 Xvid or Divx, but that's still 4-7x bigger than what you're trying to
14 get from the more-or-less same size starting point, and to even do that
15 much you have to make some sacrifices (like removing menus and extras,
16 which is essentially ripping out data from the original file by the
17 handful, or reducing image size, which may affect quality).
18
19 Is this 100MB a strict limit on the final file size (if you even can do it,
20 it's going to be the size of a postage stamp, though possibly the most
21 beautiful postage stamp ever seen)? Is all the data in the original file
22 strictly necessary?
23
24 Holly
25 --