From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Emerge ignoring make.conf entries [was Re: [gentoo-user] emerge ignoring -v switch]
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 16:11:36
1 On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 10:37:51 -0500, Indi wrote:
2
3 > > that is not the verbose flag, but silent-build.
4 >
5 > Hmm, I always thought the "-v" was the verbose switch, and that it
6 > should work properly regardless of what's in make.conf. It *used* to
7 > work properly here, I've been using "emerge -vauND world" to update for
8 > ages...
9
10 -v affects the verbosity of emerge, not of gcc, the output of which is
11 still hidden. Thisis a useful distinction, I prefer to see everything that
12 portage has to tell me without spamming my screen with gcc output.
13
14 > > If you want the old
15 > > behaviour back, you can add
16 > >
17 > > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
18 > >
19 > > to your make.conf
20
21 > Even including this in make.conf, I still get "quiet-build mode":
22 >
23 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
24 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--verbose"
25 >
26 > The only thing that works is manually using "--quiet-build=n" on the
27 > command line, so it seems the real problem here is "emerge ignoring
28 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS entries in make.conf".
29
30 Is it that your second setting overrides the first? Try putting all the
31 settings in one variable assignation.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Top Oxymorons Number 38: Government organization