From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x11-misc/sddm-0.18.1-r6 exits inexplicably
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:26:35
1 On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:18:29 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > > The PC is a laptop, which is usually connected to ethernet. Following
4 > > Neil's prompt I just started it, without an ethernet cable connected,
5 > > to check what Xorg log shows . . . O_O
6 > >
7 > > Well, what do you know! SDDM started properly, with mouse, GUI and
8 > > all. No pam_unix problem. I am now even more confused than before.
9 > > Why would the presence of an ethernet connection determine if SDDM
10 > > starts and then exits, or not? :-/
11 >
12 > This behaviour is repeatable. Why would the presence of a network
13 > connection on this PC affect SDDM?!
14
15 When you don't have the cable, are you using wireless or no network? Have
16 you tried waiting a few minutes to see if SDDM comes up? I wonder if this
17 could be a DNS or IPv6 issue? Remember the old saying "The problem is
18 always DNS. Even when it's not DNS, it is DNS".
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 But I thought YOU did the backups...