From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] override PYTHON_TARGETS to avoid a slot collision
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 12:26:01
1 Miles Malone wrote:
2 > Personally I just like to see what I'm getting myself into before I
3 > start doing an upgrade or recompile on all of chromium, firefox,
4 > qt-webkit, gtk-webkit, qt-webengine, libreoffice, and electron all at
5 > once :p
6 > To quote the meme, this little manouver's going to take us 51 years
10 That's true for me too.  I sometimes do my updates in a chroot and then
11 install binaries on my main install when it is done.  It's also a good
12 idea to check the USE flag changes as well.  Sometimes a new USE flag is
13 added or one that used to default to enabled is now defaulting to
14 disabled or vice versa.  If you see the change, it gives you a chance to
15 edit the correct config file to get the result you want.  Before -a came
16 along, everyone did a -p which meant removing the -p and running again
17 to do a update.  The -a gives you a chance to look and then proceed if
18 all looks right without having to run emerge again.  Sometimes it can
19 take a while for emerge to process what gets done.
20
21 It's rare, very rare, that I run a emerge command without -a.  I always
22 check what will be done first.
23
24 Dale
25