From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 17:37:24
1 On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 02:41:07PM +0300, Alexander Kurakin wrote:
2 >
3 > Good day!
4 >
5 > Was there an idea to move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml?
6
7 There is[1] (since 2007), but it never went anywhere.
8
9 > Are the properties common for package, aren’t they?
10
11 Usually anyway. For what it's worth, among what I maintain, there is
12 one package (nvidia-drivers) where the 0/vulkan slot (525.47.x) has
13 a different HOMEPAGE pointing to the vulkan page. Not that "most" tools
14 really consider differences for these when displaying so it's mostly
15 useful for someone opening the ebuild and wanting something to click.
16
17 Having these readily viewable in the ebuild rather than buried in
18 the metadata is often an argument to keep these, i.e. without
19 description can't even see what the package is about if only looking
20 at the ebuild. Not that I need that myself given I use repo-cd[2]
21 that displays metadata when I work on ebuilds.
22
23 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/186454
24 [2] https://github.com/ionenwks/iwdevtools#repo-cd
25 --