From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 03:42:52
1 On 03/31 05:05, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 03/30 09:45, Dale wrote:
3 > > tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 > > > On 03/30 09:23, Dale wrote:
5 > > >> Adam Carter wrote:
6 > > >>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
7 > > >>> <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 > > >>>
9 > > >>> Howdy,
10 > > >>>
11 > > >>> I been holding off on upgrading Firefox.  Basically, it breaks addons
12 > > >>> that I just can't go without.  Tab groups and some other tab utilities
13 > > >>> are among them.  I recently updated temporarily to see just what was
14 > > >>> going to be broken and what I could do to adjust.  It seems some have
15 > > >>> alternatives but some don't.
16 > > >>>
17 > > >>>
18 > > >>> The firefox ebuilds are out of date at the moment (
19 > > >>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/650472 ) so its probably not worth upgrading
20 > > >>> until that issue is fixed, unless you use the mozilla overlay.
21 > > >>>
22 > > >> My biggest problem is that addons are broken on anything 57 and above.
23 > > >> At least that seems to be the version that stops old addons from
24 > > >> working.  Would the latest release have a way for the old addons to
25 > > >> work?  If not, then it doesn't matter if it is 58, 59 or 60.
26 > > >>
27 > > >> Basically, I'm trying to figure out if others are doing like I am and
28 > > >> keeping a older version of Firefox installed because of the addons no
29 > > >> longer working.  If someone has been able to find comparable addons to
30 > > >> the ones that no longer work on the newer Firefox versions, I'd like to
31 > > >> know that as well.  Right now, I'm sticking with older versions of
32 > > >> Firefox.  I don't like the security problems that may cause but it is
33 > > >> what it is.
34 > > >>
35 > > >> Since I posted the message above, I've looked into Palemoon, Vivaldi,
36 > > >> Opera and dug around to see what else I can try.  So far, none of them
37 > > >> can do what pre 57 versions of Firefox can with the addons I use.
38 > > >>
39 > > >> Just trying to get ideas and info on this mess.
40 > > >>
41 > > >> Dale
42 > > >>
43 > > >> :-)  :-)
44 > > > Hi,
45 > > >
46 > > > I switched to waterfox for privacy reasons and it supports the older
47 > > > plugin system.
48 > > > No need to stay to older version (keeping older bugs, which may
49 > > > affect seurity) ...
50 > > >
51 > > > Waterfox is opensourced and it has a smaller memory footprint.
52 > > >
53 > > > https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/
54 > > >
55 > > > No advertising intended...I am only an user.
56 > > >
57 > > > Cheers!
58 > > > Meino
59 > > >
60 > >
61 > > I ran up on a site where that was talked about.  It's not in the tree
62 > > tho.  How did you install it?  Is it just download and run it from
63 > > command line or a manual addition to the menu system?  Is there a
64 > > overlay with it in it?  While I like Firefox, the memory hog that it
65 > > sometimes is, I'm not opposed to switching to something else.
66 > >
67 > > Thanks for the info.
68 > >
69 > > Dale
70 > >
71 > > :-)  :-)
74 > Hi Dale,
75 >
76 > I downloaded the archive, unpacked it in a separate directory, moved
77 > that to /usr/local/., made a symlink from /usr/local/bin/waterfox to
78 > the executable in that directory and: DONE :)
79 >
80 > Ok...I did an entry inti menu.xml of my openbox...manually ;)
81 >
82 > Since waterfox is contained in a single directory, gentoo will not be
83 > "polluted" and the removal/upgrade of waterfox is easy.
84 >
85 > It is not the original genuine sacred of Gentoo, though. ;)
86 >
87 > Cheers!
88 > Meino
97 (here is version of my post with less typos.... ;) )
98
99 Hi Dale,
100
101 I downloaded the archive, unpacked it in a separate directory, moved
102 that to /usr/local/., made a symlink for /usr/local/bin/waterfox of
103 the executable in that directory and: DONE :)
104
105 Ok...I did an entry into menu.xml of my openbox...manually ;)
106
107 Since waterfox is contained in a single directory, gentoo will not be
108 "polluted" and the removal/upgrade of waterfox is easy.
109
110 It is not the original genuine sacred way of Gentoo, though. ;)
111
112 Cheers!
113 Meino