From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:55:20
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> I wouldn't find it at all surprising if gentoo systems came out pretty
5 >> unique; no standard set of fonts, for example.
6 >
7 > So maybe if you change your fonts regularly it might not be able to
8 > track you - thinking that you are actually multiple different people.
9
10 Honestly, I think anyone who wants to go to that extent is living
11 their own personal fantasy. But, if you want to do something like
12 that, modify your browser to add random salts to your font list,
13 plugin list and User-Agent string, and access the Internet using a Tor
14 proxy. Be sure to disable any extensions, plugins or builtins that
15 allow the browser to access your wifi or gps data. Xulrunner, for
16 example, has wifi awareness specifically for geo-targeting purposes.
17
18 Google's interest is in tightly-defined demographics to aid in
19 advertising and low-level details like "is he more likely to click on
20 an acaiberry ad or an ad selling SATA port multipliers with
21 statistical monitoring?" The whole thing about having a 'real name' is
22 about forcing people to be up-front with their identities when
23 interacting with other people online, which they think makes people
24 more civil. (Which I don't believe it does, but I only note that so
25 people don't mistake me for a flat-out Google apologist.)
28 :wq