From: Aaron Clark <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New xorg.conf with x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 20:38:06
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Freitag 15 Mai 2009, pk wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> DeviceKit isn't even in portage yet and not many packages support it. I
5 >>> don't even know if the devs will change and improve the configs much, if
6 >>> at all. The problem with hal is that it's code base is a mess, and it's
7 >>> design is a mish- mash of stuff throwwn together. At least, that's what
8 >>> the lead hal dev says
9 >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DeviceKit#Dependencies
10 >>
11 >> I haven't looked into this in any depth but it seems like Devicekit will
12 >> not be an improvement (looks like it brings in the "kitchen sink" in
13 >> dependencies - I'm also "allergic" to gnome)...
14 >
15 > in my opinion a 'solution' that is based on the worst desktop (gnome) is the
16 > worst possible 'solution'. What about kde users? what about xfce? fluxbox?
17 > enlightenment users?
18 >
19 > Fedora screws everybody over. Like always.
22 Um... that dependencies list is the dependencies for the feature to get
23 done for Fedora. I would be shocked if the HAL replacement is dependent
24 on Nautilus.
25
26 Honestly, most of the libraries on that list are stuff likely already in
27 the LSB (which btw includes both gnome stuff as well as Qt and Phonon)
28 so while it may not be in your system it's not crazy to depend on. Tone
29 down the Gnome/Fedora hate.
30
31 Aaron