From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kolab questions
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:46:06
1 On Wednesday 23 April 2008, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > I just found this page:
6 >
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/kolab/
8 >
9 > Groupware is the general category. My questions are:
10 >
11 > Has anyone installed this and if so how do you like it?
12
13 It sucks. It sucks so much I dare not describe how and why for fear of
14 falling afoul of libel laws.
15
16 Impi tried to use it. Impi is a South African Ubuntu derivative owned by
17 Canonical intended to be sold to governments and large corporates.
18 Kolab is infested with super-secret proprietary stuff that is anything
19 but free software, all due to the way the German government structured
20 the Kolab tender process. Apparently it only really works with KMail.
21
22 If you are really interested in Kolab, I would advise you to do a proof
23 of concept trial run for real and make up your own mind.
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list