From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 17:32:12
1 Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> Since you mention being new to Gentoo, don't forget the --oneshot or -1
5 >> option when emerging things that should not be in the world file.
6 >> Libraries are one thing that should rarely if ever be in that file.
7 >> Once you get your install done and rarely install new packages, you can
8 >> add that to the defaults in make.conf.  When I first started using
9 >> Gentoo, I was bad to forget the -1 option and my world file was a mess.
10 >> It can lead to all sorts of problems later on.  The only entries in the
11 >> world file should be packages you install and use directly.  It's rare
12 >> that anything else should be there.
13 >>
14 > Wait. Does this mean doing an emerge --ask foo-libs/lib or do you mean
15 > the stuff that were pulled alongside packages? Since I do think that the
16 > packages that I've installed certainly pulled libraries too.
17 >
18 >> Happy Gentooing.
19 >>
20 >> Dale
21 >>
22 >> :-)  :-)
23 >>
24 > Cheers, you too!
28 Let's say you run the command emerge firefox because you plan to use it
29 as a web browser.  It is very likely that it will pull in other packages
30 that it needs to work.  But, emerge only records firefox in the world
31 file as that is what you asked for.  When firefox updates later, emerge
32 will find the update and if needed, pull in updates to packages it
33 depends on that are required.  It may have several, it may not but none
34 of those should be in world.  Only things you emerge should go in the
35 world file.
36
37 The way the world file gets things in it that shouldn't be there is when
38 you run into a issue updating.  Let's say you sync and emerge can't find
39 a clear path to update.  What most of us do is update in smaller parts
40 one or two packages at a time.  Sometimes you may have to unmerge a
41 package and emerge something else to help emerge along.  As you are
42 doing that, you should use -1 for packages that you didn't install
43 yourself such as Firefox.  One package that comes to mind is harfbuzz.
44 There's another that goes with that but I forget the name.  If you run
45 into that, those are packages other things depend on and they shouldn't
46 be in the world file.  So, while getting around that, use the -1
47 option.  In short, things like Firefox, libreoffice, digikam, okular and
48 such are what belongs in world providing your aren't using a meta
49 package that pulls them in.  Things those packages depend on should be
50 managed by emerge itself during normal updates.
51
52 Some one else may can explain that better.  Sometimes a different view
53 makes things clearer.
54
55 I just wish I knew some of that when I first started.  I started running
56 into update problems and someone pointed out I should check my world
57 file.  It was full of stuff that shouldn't be there and some even had
58 versions which prevented updates.  It took me a while but I got it
59 cleaned up and things worked fine.  That's when I added -1 to
60 make.conf.  I've had a clean world file ever since.
61
62 Tasytea has a good idea on using sets if you prefer that way.  I rarely
63 use sets but a lot of people love them.  It does have benefits but it
64 just isn't for me.
65
66 Hope that helps.
67