From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 08:50:57
1 On Tuesday, 9 August 2022 00:35:05 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 00:04:53 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > > So government level actors spying on your banking just go to the
4 > > > bank. And they've been getting more nosey in recent years. Last I
5 > > > heard, any transaction over $600 gets automatically reported to them,
6 > > > and they keep talking about lowering that threshold.
7 > >
8 > > Thank goodness I don't live in the good ol' US of A. The land of the
9 > > free? Hm...
10 >
11 > We still have the protections introduced by the EU. Let's hope the
12 > government aren't about to tear them up... oh, they are.
13
14 My understanding is the UK (and EU) are all the same if not worse in this
15 respect. Law stipulated protections on data privacy mostly apply to private
16 companies, but do not exclude access to your data by governments. As far as I
17 recall there's not even a need to seek approval by a judge to do so anymore,
18 although there will be some rudimentary 'supervision' of operatives by more
19 senior ... operatives. Ha!
20
21 It's probably safer to assume Internet and privacy are effectively quite
22 orthogonal.