From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia-drivers-304.64 build failure against vanilla linux-3.7.4
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 01:08:03
1 On 01/26/2013 04:06 PM, staticsafe wrote:
2 > I just grabbed vanilla 3.7.4 from kernel.org, the kernel build itself
3 > went fine but when I did a modules-rebuild, the nvidia module failed to
4 > build.
5
6 Yes, this happens fairly often with proprietary drivers. Once upon a time
7 I would spend hours hacking away at the nvidia install scripts and I got
8 pretty good at fixing the problems (always caused by sudden changes to
9 the linux kernel header files) but now I just can't work up enough energy
10 to do it any longer.
11
12 The nvidia-drivers you need still compile against linux-3.6.11, but no
13 later than that. I know because I use the same drivers.
14
15 The nvidia devs will eventually get around to patching the kernel drivers
16 for older nvidia hardware, but they're getting slower as the hardware ages.