From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Yikes, replacing sata 200gb with Sata 750gb .. no bootsky.
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:17:45
1 Anthony Metcalf <nevyn@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > Harry Putnam wrote:
4
5 [...]
8 > Sounds like the bios is seeing the drives in a different order now to
9 > before, and so is trying to boot from the wrong disk....
10 >
11 > Can you manually alter the order it tries disks?
12
13 I can, and it is set directly to boot from master on first IDE
14 controller. I haven't changed or messed with that in the course of
15 this swap. So seems unlikely the bios has confused between IDE
16 controller where the boot disk is, and PCI sata controller where the
17 swap is taking place.
18
19 It looked to me like the message would becoming from that PCI sata
20 controller.
21
22 "
23 Press F3 to enter configuration utility
24 Primary channel: WDC WD750-blah-bah " <= my new 750gb drive
25
26 That doesn't look like something coming from the normal bios does it?
27 The disk referred to is the new added one, of 2 on a PCI sata
28 controller. And I've seen this message without a disk reference,
29 every time I boot.
30
31 Press F3 to enter configuration utility
32
33 I've just ignored it and booting was fine. But now there is a disk
34 reference and bootup stops there.
35
36 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
37