From: Douglas J Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-197 moves from /usr/lib to /lib
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:45:31
1 On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > This seems to me like very happy news indeed, but I'm interested in contrary
3 > opinions. There's a recent thread discussing how udev-197 breaks lvm2, but
4 > that's a trivial fix once you know about it.
5 >
6 > The problem is caused because many apps including lvm2 install their udev
7 > config scripts in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/ (where they never belonged in the
8 > first place IMO) and they should instead now go in /lib/udev/rules.d/.
9 > All you need to do is to re-emerge all of those packages *after* installing
10 > udev-197 and the config scripts will go in the correct place.
11 >
12 > You should do this before rebooting the machine because lvm2 won't work until
13 > its udev scripts are in the correct directory.
14
15 I dealt with this yesterday and was a little annoyed that the note
16 detailing this didn't include an example of *how* to identify which
17 packages needed re-emerged. I figured it out, but i can forsee a lot
18 of pain on this front from the general user base (everyone on this
19 list shouldn't have a problem with it, imho).
22 > Doesn't this seem to fix the problem with booting a separate /usr partition?
25 I was wondering the same thing. It would seem to..
29 Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@×××××.com)
30 Twitter: @hunleyd Web:
31 douglasjhunley.com
32 G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3