From: Mauro Faccenda <faccenda@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Aleksey Kunitskiy <alexey.kv@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:12:36
1 On Friday 08 June 2007 12:39, Aleksey Kunitskiy wrote:
2
3 > > When I moved around on harddisks some years ago, I followed some
4 > > instructions found on the suse-hp. And they used tar.
5 >
6 > Any helpful suggestions(links?) ?
7
8 if you are doing it between different filesystems, keep in mind that some
9 doesn't store the same informations about the files...
10
11 and would be better if the filesystem from where you will copy, is mounted in
12 read-only mode.
13
14 if you are only aware about permissions, you can use "tar -p" but, if the
15 destination filesystem is the same or unix-like (not vfat or ntfs) i'd prefer
16 using "rsync -a" to doing this job.
17
18 but if you have any doubt... the manual is your friend. ;)
19
20 man tar
21 man rsync
22 man cp