From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] nfs server sometimes not available - timeo and retrans
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:21:16
1 Hi all,
2 Just want to check something with those much more knowledgeable that I
3 am. I have a media computer which exports the media as nfs4 shares. My
4 workstation in turn mounts these - it's the only device that does this.
5 If the media device is not on, and exporting these shares, the
6 workstation gets caught up in the boot process, timing out and retrying,
7 trying to find the nonexistant nfs shares, which takes ages.
8
9 Is the correct things to fiddle to try and tune this the timeo and
10 retrans variables in fstab? I want it to time out after 10 seconds and
11 no retries. I'm thinking the mount entries become:
12
13 ...
14 ...
15 ...
16 192.168.14.1:/movies /mnt/movies nfs4 rw,timeo=100,retrans=0 0 0
17 ...
18 ...
19 ...
22 Does that look right? Am I fiddling the correct stuff?
23
24 Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
25 Andrew