From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: vmware opengl
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:42:31
1 On 06/07/2011 09:43 PM, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I have to run windows most of the time on my main desktop for work
5 > reasons, but every now and then I install a gentoo guest on vmware to
6 > see how the latest DMs are coming along.
7 >
8 > The current KDE4 is vastly improved from last time, extremely responsive
9 > and everything is really nice...except that I cannot get opengl working
10 > for compositing.
11 >
12 > The virtual machine has acceleration enabled, everything relevant has
13 > opengl compiled. I'm not very experienced with X/opengl/etc so I'm not
14 > sure what else needs to be done.
15 >
16 > glxinfo gives me:
17 >
18 > name of display: :0
19 > Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
20 >
21 > I'm not sure if it's even possible to get opengl working here...but I
22 > assume it is as a mythbuntu vm works perfectly displaying live tv etc.
23 >
24 > Anyway, any tips on this subject appreciated. It's hard to find anything
25 > on google related to this.
26
27 You need to use the vmware DRM kernel driver and vmwgfx Gallium driver.
28 Only then can you have accelerated 3D in Linux guests.
29
30 The DRM driver is easily enabled in the kernel configuration (it's in
31 the "staging drivers" section). Not sure about the vmwgfx gallium
32 driver though.